Corey Ira Cohen
Corey Cohen is a former public defender and state prosecutor for the 18th and 5th judicial circuit of Florida. He received his law degree from Barry University School of Law and his Masters of Law in Intercultural Human Rights from St. Thomas University School of Law.
After graduating from Barry, Corey was employed by the Public Defender's Office where he represented criminal defendants in hundreds of cases. Later in this career, Corey accepted an appointment with the State Attorney's Office where he prosecuted criminal cases. In his experience with both the Public Defender's office and as a State Attorney he has managed thousands of cases from arraignment to jury trial. Corey will not hesitate to take your case to trial.
He is available for all Federal and State charges.
His experience includes cases of drug possession, DUI/DWI, driving while license suspended, violation of probation, fraud, burglary, misdemeanors, juvenile, grand theft, felony battery, and robbery with a firearm; just to name a few.
AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell
Corey Cohen holds an AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell, the leading nationwide legal directory for ranking the abilities of all attorneys and law firms throughout the United States. His AV rating, based on the confidential opinions of other local attorneys and local judges who are best suited to assess Corey's legal abilities, signifies the highest rating awarded by Martindale-Hubbell both in terms of legal ability and ethics. The Martindale-Hubbell legal directory is commonly referred to as "the Yellow Pages for attorneys", and its attorney ratings have been relied upon for over a century by attorneys and judges alike.
Corey Cohen is also an adjunct professor at Kaplan University where he teaches courses in Business Law and Legal Ethics.
He was elected as the 2016 president-elect of the Seminole County Bar Association.
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Law
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Florida, 2003
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida, 2004
- St Thomas University School of Law, Miami, Florida
- Masters of Law
- Major: Intercultural Human Rights
- Barry University School of Law, Orlando, Florida
- J.D. - 2003
- University of Central Florida, Orlando, Florida
- B.A. - 1999
- Major: Political Science
- DUI Defense
- Domestic Violence Battery
- Federal Charges
- Drug Charges
- Internet/Sex Crimes
- Adjunct Professor, Business Law and Legal Ethics, Kaplan University
Honors and Awards
- National Association of Distinguished Counsel - Nation's Top One Percent, 2016
- AVVO Clients' Choice Award, 2015 - 2016
- AVVO Top 5% Attorney, 2015 - 2016
- AVVO Rated Superb 10.0, 2015 - 2016
- AVVO Clients' Choice - DUI, 2014, 2015, and 2016
- "10 Best" 2014-2015 2 Years Client Satisfaction in Florida, American Institute of DUI/DWI Attorneys
- Selected as a Rising Star with Super Lawyers 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015
- American Institute of DUI/DWI Attorneys, Client Satisfaction Award, Ten Best
- Martindale AV Rated
- Selected to National Association of Distinguished Counsel: Nation’s Top One Percent
Professional Associations and Memberships
- President of the Seminole County Bar Association, 2016 and 2017
- Florida Bar Association, Member
- Orange County Bar Association, Volie A. Williams Inns of Court Seminole County, Member
- Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- Seminole County Bar Association, Treasure
- Seminole County Bar Association, Board of Directors
- Seminole County Bar Association, 2005 - 2013
- National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys, 2005 - 2013
- Central Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
Past Employment Positions
- 18th and 5th Judicial Circuit of Florida, Former Public Defender and State Prosecutor
- Office of the Public Defender, 2003 - 2004
- Office of the State Attorney, 2004 - 2005