Ken A. Barlow
- Associate Attorney
- Board Certified Trial Attorney
- Former Judge
Ken Barlow was born and raised in Charlotte, North Carolina, and attended both The University of the South and Wake Forest University. He received his Bachelor of Arts from the University of the South, also called Sewanee, in 1985. Ken attended the Cumberland School of Law at Samford University, Birmingham, Alabama, and graduated with his Juris Doctor (J.D.) in 1988. He is admitted to the Alabama Bar Association (1989) and the Florida Bar Association (1991) and is designated by the Florida Bar as a Board-Certified Criminal Trial Expert. This designation indicates that the lawyer in question is recognized as having obtained the highest level of expertise recognized by the Florida Bar in the certification area. Board Certification requires both passing a Florida Bar Board Certification exam, and also requires Peer Review with both lawyers that have practiced against an applicant, as well as with Judges before whom the successful applicant has been lead counsel in a specified number of jury trials.
Ken Barlow opened his own law practice in Birmingham, Alabama in 1989. He practiced both criminal and family law and appeared in both State and Federal Courts. He was admitted to the Northern District Court of Alabama in 1989. Ken then moved to Cocoa, Florida, where he worked for the Law Firm of Daniel Ciener. Ken next moved to Orlando, Florida, where he became a State Prosecutor in the Ninth Circuit in Orange County, Florida. While serving the citizens of Orange County as an Assistant State’s Attorney for nine and a half years, Ken prosecuted felony and misdemeanor cases. He served in the Sex Crimes Unit, the Felony Trial Bureau, the Misdemeanor Trial Bureau, the Traffic Trial Bureau, and the Intake Bureau as well. While assigned to the trial divisions at the State Attorney’s Office, Ken was in Court, arguing cases, on a nearly daily basis.
In April of 2001, Ken Barlow left the Ninth Circuit State Attorney’s Office and took a position at the Law Firm of Jaeger & Blankner, P.A., a local law firm that specialized in Criminal Trial Defense. It was during his eight-year tenure at Jaeger & Blankner as a Criminal Trial Lawyer that Ken sat for Board Certification and became a Board-Certified Criminal Trial Expert. At Jaeger & Blankner, Ken appeared in various Felony and Misdemeanor Courts representing clients in the Central Florida area and beyond, and successfully tried many cases during his tenure with the Firm. In Alabama, Ken was admitted to the United States District Court for the Northern District of Alabama and is admitted to the United States Court for the Middle District of Florida.
Ken Barlow was first elected to the County Court Bench in August 2008 and was sworn in to his first term on the Bench in January 2009. During his first term, Ken has served in the criminal division, presiding over criminal jury trials, as well as a two-year stint in a Specialized Division hearing Initial Appearances and related matters at the Orange County Jail. As is the case with all serving Judges in the Ninth Circuit, Ken has also served as the Emergency Duty Judge each year, handling both Felony and Misdemeanor matters.
Ken is happily married and resides in Orange County with his wife Elizabeth and stepson Nicholas.
After leaving the Bench on January 5, 2015, Ken Barlow opened his own law practice, serving clients in State and Federal Courts in criminal law-related matters in Orange, Osceola, Seminole, Volusia, Brevard, Lake, Sumter, Marion, and Flagler Counties in Florida.
On November 1st, 2019 Ken brought his 30-plus years of experience to the Law Firm of Corey Cohen, where he continues to represent criminal Defendants in cases in both State and Federal Courts.
Areas Of Practice
- Criminal Trial Law
Certified Legal Specialties
- Criminal Trial Law, Florida Bar, 2008
- Florida, 1991
- Alabama, 1989
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida, 1991
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Alabama, 1989
- Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, Birmingham, Alabama
- Honors: Moot Court Board, Justice
- University of the South, Sewanee, Tennessee
- Honors: Varsity Athlete (Wrestling)
- Major: English
- Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, North Carolina
- Police Academy, Valencia Community College Police Academy
- Guest Lecturer, Seminole State College (Formerly SCC)
- U.S. Law Shield Lecturer and Educator
- Consumer Fraud/Worthless Check Education to the Public
Honors and Awards
- Florida Bar Board Certified, Criminal Trial Law, 2008 to present
- Tendered and Accepted as Expert, Bankruptcy Court, Middle District of Florida
- Conducted in excess of 70 jury trials
- NCAA Athlete in College, Wrestling
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Florida Bar , Member, 1991 to Present
- Alabama State Bar, Member, 1989 to Present
- Orange County Bar, Member, 1989 to Present
Past Employment Positions
- Ken A. Barlow, Jr. P.A., Florida Bar Board Certified Sole Practitioner in State and Federal Courts, Jan. 7 to Present
- KATZ & PHILLIPS, P.A., Of Counsel, Oct. 2016 to Nov. 2017
- Ninth Circuit of Florida, Presiding Orange County Judge. Jan 2009 to Jan 2015
- JAEGER & BLANKNER, P.A., Trail Attorney, April 2000 to Dec. 2008
- Ninth Circuit of Florida, Assistant State’s Attorney, July 1991 to May 2000
- Law Firm of Daniel Ciener, P.A., Merritt Island, Florida, Associate Attorney, March 1990 to March 1991
- Law Office of Ken Barlow, Jr., P.A., Birmingham, Alabama Sole Practitioner in State and Federal Courts July 1989 to March 1990
Pro Bono Activities
- Historical Reenactor and Educator
- Past Board Member, Variety Club of Orlando (Children's Charity)
- Supporter of the Orlando Ballet