When you are arrested for a DUI you are in for a long, uphill battle to a return to your normal life. You will be kicking yourself for being so irresponsible, but you have to move past that and face the legal task at hand.
If you plead guilty to a DUI, here are just some of the punishments you can expect:
– Months of counseling and mandatory AA meetings.
– An installment of an interlock breathalyzer on your car.
– Hours and hours of community service.
– Impoundment of your vehicle for 10 days or more.
– License suspended/revoked and a long, expensive process to get it back.
– Hefty fines/court costs and paying for counseling and the installment of the car breathalyzer.
This may make you feel full of remorse, guilt and shame…but what if you can fight it? You have that right! As you can see, receiving a DUI can mean you losing your driving privileges, getting large fines, face probation, suspension of your license and possibly even jail time. A DUI charge is not an automatic conviction and an experienced DUI defense attorney has ways to help you avoid disaster.
Your lawyer can investigate if the police officers acted appropriately during your DUI stop. There have been many DUI cases thrown out due to improper handling of blood test evidence and the inaccuracy of a breathalyzer test. Even if these defenses can’t help you, there is always a chance to negotiate a better resolution to your case. Weigh all your options before losing all hope.