Photo of Corey Cohen

Do not let a DUI conviction spoil your record

On Behalf of | Jul 8, 2015 | DUI Expungement

A conviction for driving under the influence (DUI) can have serious repercussions on a person. Aside from the legal penalties one may face, the conviction will be a part of the person’s criminal record for life and follow him or her as he or she tries to get a job, applies for credit or even tries to obtain housing. While some criminal convictions can be expunged from a person’s record, a DUI conviction in Florida cannot. Essentially, the only way a DUI conviction will not affect your record in Florida is if the conviction never makes it on your record in the first place.

For this reason, having a solid DUI defense in place is essential. A DUI charge does not mean a DUI conviction. Prosecutors have the burden to prove that you were driving under the influence in order to obtain a conviction. By challenging the prosecutor’s evidence, you may be able to have the charges dismissed or reduced. Some lesser charges can be expunged from your record if you are convicted, but only an attorney experienced in DUI defense would be able to help you determine your best course of action.

The attorneys at The Law Office of Corey I. Cohen & Associates have years of experience devising successful defense strategies for those facing DUI and other criminal charges. We scrutinize the evidence and circumstances surrounding your arrest in order to challenge the prosecutor’s case. By analyzing the officers’ actions during your stop, search and subsequent arrest, we can determine if the authorities acted within the confines of the law without compromising your basic rights. Furthermore, the methods used to determine your impairment, such as blood, breath and field sobriety tests, can also be challenged.

If you have been charged with DUI, time is of the essence. The sooner you can devise a defense against the charges, the better off you will be. For help with creating a solid defense strategy related to DUI, contact our office as soon as possible after your arrest.



FindLaw Network